Frequently Asked Questions


About the College


Applying to Tabor

College Preparation

Financial Aid/Fees

Getting to Tabor

On and Around Campus

Visiting Campus


How do I get to Tabor College?

Tabor College’s address is 400 S. Jefferson in Hillsboro, KS 67063 (approximately 1 hour north of Wichita).

Get maps and directions

Return to Top

What does Christian College mean?

At Tabor College, faith is not relegated to a column in the student newspaper, and it doesn’t stay inside the four walls of the chapel. What makes Tabor truly Christ-centered is the deliberate and genuine integration of faith with all other aspects of life: the classroom and dorm life as students prepare for their true purpose in life and work.

The distinctives at Tabor College include Christian faculty and administrators, nine hours of required Bible coursework, and all courses being taught from a Christian worldview.

Return to Top

What does Liberal Arts mean?

A Liberal Arts curriculum is composed of three major segments: general education courses, major courses, and electives. Our General Education program is defined as those courses that the faculty of Tabor College considers to be essential for all students to take. It includes the courses that we believe are central to a Christian liberal arts education. Students who successfully complete a degree at Tabor, including the general education curriculum, are exposed to a number of issues and skills that represent important competencies for productive living as a citizen of society and the Kingdom of God. These include the following: reasoning and communication, historical and world perspective, and Christian maturity and understanding.

Return to Top

What does Mennonite Brethren mean?

The doctrines of the Mennonite Brethren faith are in agreement with most evangelical Christian denominations. Read some of the important beliefs in the Mennonite Brethren Confession of Faith.

Return to Top

What is Interterm?

The Tabor calendar provides for an interterm during the month of January. Courses during the interterm are planned to afford students an opportunity for uninterrupted and intensive study of a subject of particular interest. Interdepartmental study, independent research, and traveling seminars are offered. The cost of interterm is included in tuition and these courses help to ensure that a student graduates in four years.

Return to Top

When do I register for classes?

Once you have been accepted and paid your $175 comprehensive deposit you are eligible to register for classes. Tabor offers two early registration days for incoming freshmen students, one in May and one in June. Those unable to attend an on campus registration day may register by phone. Once accepted and deposited, students will begin receive phone calls after April 1st to arrange a time to register for classes that works for them.

Return to Top

What are the admissions requirements?

Degree-seeking students seeking full-time or part-time admission are required to complete an application form, provide official high school and/or college transcripts, official ACT or SAT scores, and a $30 application fee.

Students are admitted based on a minimum ACT score of 18 (SAT=860) and their ACT/GPA product (ACT score multiplied by high school GPA). A minimum product of 45 is required for full acceptance; products of 38-44 may be admitted on academic probation.

Transfer Students with 10 hours or more, who have successfully completed college course work with a GPA of 2.0 or above, will be considered for admission. Students with less than 30 hours of transferable college credit must also submit an official high school transcript.

If you have other questions, please call our office at 1-800-TABOR-99 to speak with an admissions counselor or see our catalog.

Return to Top

What steps do I need to follow in the Admissions process?

It is important to complete steps 1-4 to determine your acceptance as a student at Tabor. Following your acceptance, you will be required to complete steps 5-9 to finish processing your admission.

Admissions Checklist:
  1. Apply Online
  2. Send $30 application fee.
  3. Mail all high school and college transcripts.
  4. Send ACT/SAT test scores.

Apply Now

Following Acceptance:
  1. Send $175 housing/registration deposit.
  2. Complete and return the medical record form.
  3. Complete and return the student services/housing form.
  4. Sign and return the financial aid award notice.
  5. Register for classes.

Enroll Now

Send all required forms to:
Tabor College
Offices for Enrollment Management
400 S. Jefferson
Hillsboro, KS 67063

Return to Top

What are the ACT test dates for 2014-2015?

  • September 13, 2014
  • October 25, 2014
  • December 13, 2014
  • February 7, 2015
  • April 18, 2015
  • June 13, 2015

Please visit for updated and correct information on these dates.

Return to Top

What are the SAT test dates for 2014-2015?

  • November 8, 2014
  • December 6, 2014
  • January 24, 2015
  • March 14, 2015
  • May 2, 2015
  • June 6, 2015

Please visit for additional testing information.

Return to Top

What is Tabor’s code for the American College Test (ACT)?

Tabor’s ACT Code is *1468.

Return to Top

What is Tabor’s code for the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)?

Tabor’s SAT Code is 6815.

Return to Top

Where can I find information on test prep resources and free practice tests for the ACT and SAT exams?

For information on free test preparation resources and practice tests, please visit

Return to Top

Are my scholarships renewable from year to year?

All financial aid is awarded on an annual basis and is not automatically renewed. Appropriate applications must be completed for every academic year for federal and state aid. Tabor scholarships are re-awarded based on the student’s grade point average and participation.

Return to Top

How do I apply for federal and state aid?

To apply for federal and state aid one must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The financial aid office will use the results of this form to determine the student’s eligibility for federal grants, state grants, student loans, and work-study. Preference is to file the FAFSA application online at Paper forms may be available from high school guidance counselors or by writing to Tabor’s Office of Student Financial Assistance.

Return to Top

How do I get an official award notice from Tabor?

To receive an official award notice one must be accepted for admission to Tabor College. To receive the most complete award package the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will need to be completed. While the FAFSA is not required to receive an award notice, it does allow for the most complete aid package to be presented.

Return to Top

How do I send my FAFSA results to Tabor if I completed the FAFSA but did not originally code Tabor College to receive these results?

If you filed the FAFSA application online, your confirmation page will provide you with your Data Release Number (DRN). You can log back on to and add Tabor’s school code (001946) and resubmit your application. You may also view your SAR after you successfully log on to Towards the top of the confirmation page of your SAR is a Data Release Number (DRN). If the financial aid office has this DRN, your social security number, and your first and last name we can request that the Department of Education send Tabor your FAFSA results. If you cannot locate your SAR please contact 1-800-4FEDAID to request another.

Return to Top

How much is tuition, room & board, and fees?

  • 2014-2015 On Campus standard costs:
  • Block Tuition: $23,100 (12-15 hours)
  • Room and Board: $8,620 average
  • Student Fees: $800 per year
  • Yearly Total: $32,520 (Semester charges will be 1/2 of this amount)
    • Full-time undergrad student per year

Return to Top

What are the deadlines for applying for financial aid?

Tabor recommends filing the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1 for maximum aid. The priority deadline for FAFSA filing is March 1. To apply for Kansas state aid, Kansas residents must postmark their FAFSA forms by March 1.

Return to Top

What is an EFC?

EFC stands for Expected Family Contribution. This comes as a result of completing the FAFSA. The number represents what the government says the family can contribute towards the student’s college education based on household income and assets.

Return to Top

What is the value of a private/Christian education?

A Christian education is an investment you will keep for the rest of your life. The college experience plays a key role in preparing you not only for your career but every aspect of your future. Attending a Christian college places you in a Christ-centered community that allows you to be influenced by God in a variety of settings ranging from the classroom to your dorm room.

Return to Top

What is verification?

Verification is where the financial aid office has to verify what was reported on the FAFSA is accurate with what was reported on the tax forms. Every year 30% of FAFSA filers are randomly selected by the U.S. Department of Education for this process. The financial aid office will notify you if you have been selected and inform you of the items that will need to be returned.

Dependent students must return:
  1. Verification worksheet
  2. IRS Transcript (or)
  3. Voluntarily request IRS data to be imported on to FAFSA application
  4. Signed student and parent tax forms will not be accepted
Independent students must return:
  1. Verification worksheet
  2. IRS Transcript (or)
  3. Voluntarily request IRS data to be imported on to FAFSA application
  4. Signed student tax forms and W-2 forms will not be accepted

Verification must be completed for those selected before financial aid will be disbursed.

Return to Top

What scholarships are available at Tabor?

Tabor has scholarships to offer for academic achievement as well as performing arts and athletic scholarships that you can audition for. For more information about Tabor’s institutional aid, click here.

Return to Top

Where else can I look for scholarships?

Tabor encourages students to apply for “outside aid.” This aid comes from private, community, foundation, and corporate programs. Contact your high school guidance counselor, the Internet, or the reference section of public libraries for additional information.

Some helpful websites include:

Return to Top

How do I get to Hillsboro, KS?

To find directions to Hillsboro, KS, from where you are located, just go to MapQuest and fill out the starting location and destination.

Return to Top

Are students required to live on campus?

Yes, Tabor is a residential campus. All students are required to live on campus unless they are 22 years old, are married, or live with their parents.

Return to Top

Can I have a car on campus?

Yes! All you have to do is register your car with Student Development to receive a parking sticker and you get free parking for the school year.

Return to Top

What can I bring for my dorm room?

Students are allowed to have TVs, DVD players, VCR, sound equipment, microwaves, toaster-ovens, small refrigerators, and lamps (no halogen bulbs). Pets and devices with an open flame, such as hot plates, and posters of questionable content are not allowed.

Return to Top

What is there to do for fun around Hillsboro?

Tabor College students enjoy spending time at Marion Reservoir and Marion Lake, renting movies from Quick Flick, and having late night ventures to Newton or Wichita. Wichita is the largest city in Kansas (400,000 people) and offers everything from fine dining to movie theatres to shopping malls to professional sporting events. Tabor’s athletic contests, performing arts programs, and Student Activities Board events offer regular opportunities for students to come together on campus for fun. Hillsboro is home to several restaurants including La Cabana, Sonic, Subway, Pizza Hut, Wendy’s, Panda Kitchen, and Norell Farms Bakery.

Return to Top

When do I need to arrive on campus?

Dates have yet to be determined. There will be a calendar and other school information sent to your residence after applying that will indicate the date and time that students may arrive on campus.

Return to Top

How do I schedule a campus visit?

There are two ways to schedule a campus visit. Complete the campus visit request form or simply call us at 1-800-TABOR-99 and ask to speak with our campus visit coordinator or an admissions counselor. We would appreciate a one-week notice in order for us to schedule appointments to have you visit with the appropriate people on campus.

Return to Top